Do you provide lunch or snacks?
With the variety of dietary preferences and allergies, we request children to bring their own food for our programs. We occasionally provide a snack when it is relevant to our activities. The food we serve will always be organic and we will check ahead of time to note children’s food preferences and allergies.
Do you provide scholarships?
We have some scholarship funds available. You can apply here: Scholarship Application Form
Are my donations to your scholarship fund tax deductible?
We are not a non-profit so unfortunately your donations are not tax-deductible.
Can my child participate if he/she is older than the age range?
Yes. Your older child is welcome to participate. Keep in mind that the activities will be geared toward the age range suggested.
Can my child participate if he/she is younger than the age range?
We ask that a child not participate if he/she is younger than the age range.
What does my child need to bring? (Please note these are suggestions. Every day is different so please plan according to the unique program and weather of the day).
- Sturdy shoes for walking and running
- Warm and/or waterproof jacket
- Warm and/or sun hat
- Boots for snowy or rainy days
- Extra pair of socks and pants for snowy or rainy days
- Sunscreen already applied (Most sunscreens have chemicals that are not healthy for creeks and rivers. Please bring natural sunscreen in case it is a warm day and we choose to go into the water.)
- Mosquito protection if necessary (Most bug repellents have chemicals that are not healthy for creeks and rivers. Please bring a natural repellent in case it is a warm day and we choose to go into the water.)
- Lunch for all-day programs
- Study shoes for hiking, running, and walking in water (Keens, Chacos, or Tevas work well but if you do not have this type of shoe, bring a sturdy pair of sneakers and flip flops. We recommend against bringing solely flip flops because they are not sturdy enough for some of the running games we play.
- Sun hat
- Sunscreen (Most sunscreens have chemicals that are not healthy for creeks and rivers. Please bring natural sunscreen in case it is a warm day and we choose to go into the water.)
- Mosquito protection (Most bug repellents have chemicals that are not healthy for creeks and rivers. Please bring a natural repellent in case it is a warm day and we choose to go into the water.)
- At least 2 liters of liquids for the day (We may or may not have access to a place to fill up midday so make sure to pack enough liquids to last them 6 1/2 hours. We find that the kids drink more liquid when they have both water and a drink with electrolytes like Emergen-C).
- Sack lunch
- Bathing suit or trunks/towel (If they want to bring swimming gear, please have them come already changed into their swim suits/trunks and they can wear their regular clothing over. They may wish to bring a dry change of clothing to put on after swimming, however, it may be easier to just let them air dry).
- Snow shoes or boots
- Warm and Waterproof jacket
- Warm hat
- Snow gloves
- Extra pair of socks and pants
May I bring snacks for the whole class?
We appreciate your generous offer! Please check in with us prior so that we can see if it will be appropriate for kids’ food allergies and preferences. We do ask that any food that is shared in our programs be organic.
Will my child get dirty?
Probably. They may get particularly dirty on the days when we help the kids camouflage themselves with mud. Please dress children with this in mind!
What is your policy around letting kids play in the river?
We encourage kids to play in the river on hot days to cool off. We ask them to come prepared with water shoes so that we do not need to worry about them cutting their feet underwater or on the bank.
Does my child need to know how to swim for river play?
Children are only allowed to play in water that is knee deep or shallower so you do not need to worry if your child does not know how to swim.
How do you deal with food allergies?
We do not allow children to share food during our programs and we will always check ahead of time before providing activity-related snacks.
What is your discipline policy?
We create an environment that supports respect for oneself, others, and nature. Most of our effort goes into preventative measures to make sure this environment is sustained and supported by all participants. If a child is repeatedly breaking rules, we will ask them to participate in a listening activity instead of free time that day.
Can I register and pay online?
Yes. Click on the tab that says Register for instructions.
What happens if I arrive late to pick up my child?
If you arrive 10 minutes – 20 minutes after the pick up window there is a $10 fee. After that we charge $1 per minute. If your work schedule makes it difficult to come on time, please contact us to make special arrangements.
Will my kids be eating wild plants?
Yes. We make sure they ask an adult before picking the plant and eating it. We also encourage them to make sure the plant is healthy and that there is an abundance of the plant in the area.
What is your student/instructor ratio?
7:1 is the maximum student to teacher ratio. We average 5:1.
Do your camps have a religious message?
Wildheart Nature School does not promote a religious message. Our goal is to inspire a spiritual connection with nature that does not fit within the confines of any particular religion or lineage. We encourage reverence and respect for the natural world. For example, when a student wants to take something from nature, we encourage them to leave something in return such as a piece of their hair. Most of all, we encourage children to relate to nature in the way that feels most natural and appropriate for them.
Can parents come to class?
Yes, you may join us at class. Please participate fully in all the activities to set a good example for the rest of the group. Parents must fill out the Medical Release Form if planning to participate for the day. Please refrain from using cell phones during class in order to set a good example of engagement for the kids.
Can I bring my younger kids to class even though they are not officially enrolled in the class?
Yes, and please supervise them while they are in class. If they are distracting the rest of the group, we will ask that you take them away until they are no longer going to distract. You must also fill out a Medical Release Form for them.
How do I reserve my spot in a program?
We reserve spaces in our programs once we receive your registration form and your payment. Payment in full must be made no later than the day before the start of a class or camp unless there is a payment plan in place for the class or camp.
What is your absence policy?
To ensure the long-term stability of Wildheart Nature School, missed classes within a series paid in full at the beginning of the term will not be refunded.
What are your cancellation and transfer policies?
*Although your payment is not always 100% refundable, it is 100% transferable to another participant.
*If you request to transfer to a different program or hold the balance in your account 30 days or more before the start date of the class or start of class series, there will be a $10 transfer fee. If you had registered before the early bird rate and are requesting to transfer after early bird is over, you will also be responsible for paying the difference.
*If you request to transfer to a different program or hold the balance in your account 15 – 29 days before the start date of the class or start of class series, there will be a fee. The fee will be 50% of the program cost.
*No transfers 14 days or less before the start date of the class or class series.
*Refunds will only be issued through the Registration Protect Insurance offered at check out. This means if you do not purchase the insurance, no refunds will be issued. Registration Protect will give you a 100% refund in the event of an injury or illness, vehicle breakdown or theft, adverse weather resulting in travel warnings, work relocation, and more. There is an opportunity to purchase and find out more details about Registration Protect when registering for any program.
Are classes ever affected by the weather?
Yes. Occasionally we need to relocate, postpone, and cancel classes. Please check your phone for a text message and/or your email when there are severe weather conditions.
I don’t see my question here. How can I learn more?
Contact us if you have more questions.